This pagoda is located at the northwest corner of the ruins of the ancient city of Qingzhou from the Liao Dynasty in Bairin Right Banner near Chifeng City. The pagoda is estimated to have been constructed between 1032 and 1055. The octagonal pagoda, about fifty meters high, has seven storeys. Each side of its octagonal base is 10.34 meters long. Originally a staircase in the first storey led to upper levels, but it was dismantled later and the first storey was turned into a prayer hall.
The pagoda gives the appearance of a typical multistoreyed wooden structure. Each storey has brick columns, rafters, brackets, doors and windows. On the front of every level is an arched door. Flanking the door on the first storey are false lattice windows. The pagoda is embellished with brick carvings of Buddha, heavenly kings, guardians, flying apsarases, bodhisattvas, columns, lions, elephants, human figures and other decorative patterns. It is also inlaid with many copper mirrors, glittering brightly in the sunshine. The gilded copper steeple has a luster that can be seen from a dozen miles away.